good god girl get a grip
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I feel burdened by the weight of being seen through someone else's eyes, and by how much space their opinions can take up in my chest if I let them. There's a quiet pressure in being perceived, of being labeled, remembered, and reduced to versions of ourselves we've already outgrown. Sometimes I catch myself believing the way others see me must be the truth. That if enough people misunderstand me, maybe I really am what they think. But perception is unstable. It shifts with mood, memory, and assumption. It often reveals more about the observer than the subject, though not always, because sometimes it's simply incomplete.
I remember a moment when this became clear. Someone I care about brought up something I said years ago, as if it still defines me. I tried to explain that I no longer think or feel that way anymore, but I could tell they were speaking to that older version of me instead of the person I have become. I left that conversation feeling strangely invisible, like I had shown up as myself but was not being met there. That, I think, is where the sadness lives, not in being judged, but in being misread.
I keep asking what to do with that kind of pain and how to hold it without letting it harden me. I'm learning that I don't owe anyone the version of myself they're comfortable with, not my family, not those close to me, not even the people who have known me the longest. I'm allowed to change even if it confuses them, and I don't have to spend my life translating every shift in who I am becoming. At the same time, I'm also learning something more complicated. Not every misunderstanding is unfair. Sometimes people are responding to patterns I still carry or to things I've not fully outgrown yet. Growth isn't always as clean as I want it to be, but even that doesn't mean I have to be confined to a fixed version of myself.
What I can release is the need to be constantly corrected into clarity, either by others or by my own fear of being seen incorrectly. There's a quiet freedom in letting people be wrong about me, at least in the places where correction costs more than it gives back. Silence can be misread. Boundaries can be mistaken for distance, independence for arrogance, strength for coldness. I don't have to rewrite myself every time someone misinterprets a change I'm still learning how to live. I'm tired of proving myself, tired of asking for permission to exist as I am. I want to live as the person I am becoming even when others do not recognize the shift yet. Growth is often disorienting for the people who knew you before it began, but I can't stay the same just to preserve their familiarity.
The challenge is not letting their misunderstanding rewrite how I see myself. Their confusion is not my failure. Still, I don't want that to turn into indifference or isolation. I still want to be known and I still crave real connection, just not at the cost of abandoning myself to achieve it. So I'm learning where effort matters and where it does not. I can clarify what I mean when it's worth it, and let go when it's fleeting. I can care without carrying everything.
And when I'm not understood, I want to remember this. Their inability to see me clearly does not make me less real. It only reveals the limits of their view, and sometimes the limits of the moment we are both in. So I don't rush to correct every misunderstanding anymore. I choose myself anyway. And if one day they see me more clearly, I welcome that. If they don't, I can still live honestly inside my own life.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment